ARTFULLY AVOIDING THE LANDFILL (& driving my husband crazy) ONE PIECE OF JUNK AT A TIME

12/8/10

Keeping My Fingers Busy

I've been away from the computer for awhile... on purpose.  I HAD to stay away because after 35 years of huffing and puffing, I realized I'd never be able to blow the house down if I didn't quit smoking.  Since smoking at the computer was as natural for me as a cat purring when it's happy, I decided to treat my computer like a lover spurned lest I give in to the nasty habit.  I'm not out of the woods yet, but I think I can behave long enough for at least one little post : )



So, while everyone else was having visions of sugar plums dancing through their heads getting ready for the most wonderful time of the year, I was having visions of lugging an oxygen tank around for the remainder of my years and decided to busy myself with creating new Christmas decor.  It's been a wonderful new livelihood and my fingers have been very productive.

Probably the craziest thing I came up with was eternally incorporating burlap with Christmas lights.  Just one string of lights, but I had enough burlap to make at least three more sets.


This piece of burlap was given to me a long time ago and it must have been 15 feet long!   I washed it (what a MESS!) but it made it soft and pliable and just perfect for Christmas lights because the little bulbs can either poke through the burlap - or hide inside:


I opted for alternating the bulbs in AND out.  Then it was a simple matter of pinning the burlap and sewing the longest seam I have ever sewn - 10 feet!  Just leave the ends open, of course so you can plug the lights into your power source.


I wrapped it up in some evergreen garland and used it on the mantle.


It nestled nicely among some of the other crazy little things I made : )

Okay then.  That's enough for now.  Old habits die hard and I need to get outta here for now.  Maybe tomorrow I'll show you my baked snowmen : )

38 comments:

  1. Ah! Coleen...

    Glad to see you post. Glad to hear all is well. And certainly glad you decided to kick the habit!

    (for no other reason except YOU WANT TO!) I think this is awesomely wonderful.

    Onto the festivities ...that is such a cute little burlap garland. Looks tedious and time consuming... good work, to keep your hands from being idle.

    See you around!
    Hang in there.
    I'm rootin' for ya!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're quitting smoking. I smoked for 35 years and as you did, got tired of coughing and wheezing, trying to get my breath. I quit cold turkey and to keep myself from smoking I crocheted. Everybody in the gamily got an afghan that year with several lap throws for the local nursing home. It's been almost 20 years now and I'm glad I took that first step. I'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love junk too. Love the burlap lights. They just look so relaxing, and homey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the burlap lights! Keeping the hands busy keeps us out of all kinds of things, it keeps me out of the cookie jar! jk.

    Love your blog, you are very creative!

    Happy Holidays!
    Mandi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Coleen,
    I think you should make something out of your Laffy Taffy wrappers! lol. (Still proud you are on your way to a wheez-free life).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this and it makes for a beautiful country Christmas! Best wishes with no smoking...GOOD FOR YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You GO Lady!! You can do it!! Sounds like you are making some good decisions to avoid your triggers!

    Love the burlap garland! Love the mantel! I see your precious creations tucked in there... can't wait to see more!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE the burlap with the lights. It's a great combination -- almost as good as NOT smoking and living longer, feeling better, freedom to go out for hours at a time without worrying about when you will get that smoke. I smoked for 28 years and then quit. I'm so pleased and happy for you. You WILL keep this quit, girl -- it's a wonderful present to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coleen, I am so proud of you. I am still battling that awful addiction... I just tried again a few weeks ago... NOT... I always find an excuse to light up another one. I don't smoke in the house so I just make sure I stay busy inside.

    Loving the burlap garland, so perfect on your beautiful mantel with all your sweet little creations. Everything looks so warm and cozy up there. Great job.

    Have a great day Coleen... keep up the good work.

    Hugs, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wishing you nothing but success in your new smoke free environment. I too meed, want, must quit and am having a super hard time in making the first attempt. You are a true encouragement to others :)

    deneal

    ReplyDelete
  11. After 33 years of smoking I quit cold turkey been 2 years this Oct and best thing I ever done worst thing is I picked up the habit of cooking so I'm not only making myself fat I'm making everyone around me fat :( oh well I'll work on this habit later right now I have to get the brownies out of the oven :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder how this would look wrapped around a wooden cross for an outside wedding?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did you have to wash the burlap before hand?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note, I'd love to hear from you!