ARTFULLY AVOIDING THE LANDFILL (& driving my husband crazy) ONE PIECE OF JUNK AT A TIME

1/9/11

Candle Making for Sinus Relief

I am literally one of those people who are allergic to work.  Serious, cross-my-heart, stick a camel in my eye - allergic to work.  There is something in the air at work that totally disagrees with me and sometimes I just can't take it anymore and leave!


I feel like I'm playing hooky when I leave because my eyes quit watering and my sinus cavities open up almost immediately as soon as I leave the office.  I've tried various remedies - sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.  I've come to the conclusion that I either have to suffer or leave.  I really don't want to leave permanently, I like the work and I'd miss Heather too much!

Anyway, Thursday when I left work, I spent my down time making candles.  This fall I dinked around with some regular old grocery store paraffin wax and made some grubby hand-dipped tapers.


I really like them, but they have been dubbed "fecal garland" by a juvenile who resides here and has absolutely no taste for fine art.  (Sheesh!)   These were really easy to make, but very time consuming.  Dip, dip, dip, dip, dip, dip, dip, dip, roll in cinnamon and nutmeg, dip and repeat three or four times.  Actually, I think they were dipped at least 50 times, if not more before adding the grubby effect with the spices.

I wouldn't mind taking the time to make more, but I'm not so sure our little neck of the woods is home to very many hand dipped candle lovers, so I decided to get serious and went to the experts at Candle Science for help with making real candles.  I'll skip my tutorial on candle making because their site has everything you will ever need to know about making candles.  I'll tell you about my containers.

Since I like the primitive look, I started with a cinnamon candle and went to the recycling bin for the container.


A nice 14.75 oz. vegetable can.


This was most definitely going to be a cinnamon candle, inside and out.  I painted a thin layer of Mod Podge on the can and then sprinkled it with a cinnamon/nutmeg mixture to give it that old fashioned look I am so into these days.

While that was drying I started to work on the label.


It is a most good idea to look at the label you rip off the can you're going to use to get the dimensions you'll need for your label.  I thought all I needed to know was the height and circumference.  Nope.  After spending an hour or two on the perfect label, I put it on the can and had to turn the can just so I could read the front of the label!  Back to the drawing board to reduce the front to about 4 inches.


For good measure I created two designs to see what I liked best.  The overwhelming winner was decided by everyone who walked through the kitchen.  (Wait!  Maybe I shouldn't trust the opinions of those who gave my hand dipped candles a bad name?)


I think they were right.  I was pleased with the way it looks.
I made a couple other fragrances as well:


I generally take the claims of odor eliminating products with a grain of salt. However, the Odor Eraser fragrance is absolutely marvelous and it effectively removed the bacon odor from the kitchen last night -  I was truly amazed!


Take a look at the difference between the Love Spell candle and the unidentified candle with the buttons.  The Love Spell candle poured nice and smooth with a level top.  The other one has a serious well around the wick.  That's the difference between Candle Science paraffin wax and your ordinary grocery store variety.  The difference is absolutely amazing.

The experiments - using the Candle Science wax - turned out very, very well.  I was a bit skeptical as to my ability to create a nice marketable candle... especially when I calculated the selling price to be a little over $1.00 per ounce.  I looked at my candles and wondered if anyone would pay $15.00 for one of them.  It seemed quite expensive for a home canned candle.  Then I lit them... oh my gosh!  Thanks to Candle Science, Yankee Candle Company has nothing over these aromas!  These hand canned creations are definitely the crows toes!

Now, as to the power of the candles as labelled, I guess only time will tell.  If I do get up the nerve to sell candles, I will put a disclaimer on the Love Spell candles because I just can't guarantee your honey will love you any more than he already does : )


I still have some fine tuning and practical packaging matters to iron out, but I think this is something to get excited about.  My only regret was that I didn't purchase more wicks.  I guess I lacked the confidence to believe they would turn out.  I'm heading over to Candle Science right now to order some more supplies!

Here's hoping you have a great week!  I'll be searching the house for cool looking things to fill with candle wax : )

35 comments:

  1. Coleen those look so perfectly prim... you did a great job on them... those labels are so professional looking... Believe me you would get the price and more... people love candles and they pay through the nose for them... love the dipped ones... if you email me your address I have a huge spool of wick, I bought two thinking they were small spools, well needless to say I have enough wick to last me ten lifetimes... if you can wait until I get over to Mr. D's I'll ship it from there.

    I buy the taper candles and dip and grunge them, it works great... I use the wax melter you use for your hands and feet, keeps your wax at a consistent temperature, perfect for dipping.

    Have a great night...

    Hugs, Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time i take a look back at what had happened to me i will always appreciate the great Dr Agbazara ( agbazara@gmail.com ) for what he has done for me. This spell caster brought back my lover, who left me just for no reason. I met the great spell caster and he told me all i need to do! Now am glad Dr Agbazara brought him back and he love me more than he used to! you can also contact him on his active Email address ( agbazara@gmail.com ) or add him on Whats-app: ( +2348129175848 ).



















      Delete
  2. LOVE..love your candles! The labels are just too "stinking" cute!! LOL
    I think these would sell like crazy :)
    Def. magazine material...nudge, nudge :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool candles! You may find them to be addicting. I started by just remelting the old spent candles and pouring them into jars. Now I have molds, sents, colors, wick, etc, etc... The place you found for the supplies looks pretty good. I just got my stuff from Hobby Lobby and Michaels, but that is not very cost effective. Checking Ebay for somebody selling off their stuff might be a good way to go. Emily said you were not wanting to do molds, but I find them a lot of fun. Now if I only had time to make them again... Btw, I tried a hand dipped candle in beeswax, but it came out looking a bit X-rated, so don't feel bad about the comments you received on yours! :)
    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colleen, I really love these candles. I think they will sell very well. They are very unique. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww, I would miss you too Coleen!!!! xoxo :)
    I love your candles, and may I say since I had the pleasure of smelling them while they burn at work, they are definitely worth it. For all the curious ones out there, I could smell the odor eraser candle from the back of our building when it was burning in front and the wedding cake smells good enough to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just popping in because I didn't want to miss anything :)
    If you'd like, I can email you one of the write-up's I've done for the Stampington and Co mags....so easy and you can do it! You'll be glad you did!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coleen... those are AWESOME!! They look so professionally prim! Those labels are WOW!! Sorry about your work allergies!

    Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coleen- missed this post-- love the candles...you had me laughing with the 'fecal garland'...your family has quite the SCENTS OF HUMOR...LOL!!!
    Glad your keeping busy.
    Me? not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I'm impressed! I've never thought of making candles before. Will you be selling them on etsy or anything like that?
    Btw. the 'fecal garland' comment had me rolling.
    Gotta love family. guys just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! My teenager gave the grubby candles I received in a swap gift with a similar name. :) What would we do without our teenagers to make us laugh! Love your grubby labels!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello every one i never believe i will be in a good mood just the way i am today, but who is the good hearted person who made me to be in good mood, is no other person than DR.AGBAGIE the great spell caster i thank and adore your name my ex is back to me with his spell work. If you need his help you are free to contact him with this Email:(agbagietemple@gmail.com) OR CALL HIM (+2348052849204)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!!! thank you sooo much DR EZIZA!!! it's people like you in this world that help people stand back up :i know what i have to do, just gonna tell the whole wide world about your genuine work.please help me in thanking him for his help, here is the email: ezizaoguntemple@gmail.com ALSO CONTACT HIM FOR HELP IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEM. You call him with this number: +2348058176289

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everyday i wake up with a smile on my face and singing praises to this powerful spell caster called Dr.AGBAGIE who has done me a great favor by rescuing my relationship from break up. I used to think that i have a perfect relationship till when my lover started coming home late and everyday he gives me different excuses then i decided to keep a close eye on him then i discovers that he was having an affair with another girl. I was heart broken because i trusted him so much and knowing that he has a secret relationship hurts me a lot.. But i thank all those who placed the contact information of Dr.AGBAGIE on the internet because through that i have been able to contact Dr.AGBAGIE and today my relationship has been restored with love and more romance than ever before. If you are in any kind of relationship or marriage stress i will do you a favor by dropping the contact information's of Dr.AGBAGIE which are via email: (agbagietemple@gmail.com) Or Call (+2348052849204)

    ReplyDelete

  14. BE CAREFUL HERE NOBODY CAN HELP YOU HERE OR EVEN SUGGEST HOW YOU CAN GET YOUR EX OR LOVE BACK,ANY TESTIMONIES OF MOST SPELL CASTER HERE MUST BE IGNORE.BECAUSE MOST OF THEM ARE SCAM I MEAN REAL SCAM WHICH I WAS A VICTIM AND I GOT RIPPED OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS BECAUSE I WAS SO ANXIOUS TO GET MY WIFE BACK AFTER SHE LEFT ME FOR OVER 2 YEARS WITH MY 7 YEARS OLD SON JERRY,I HAVE APPLIED TO 7 DIFFERENT SPELL CASTER HERE AND ALL TO NO AVAIL THEY ALL ASK FOR SAME THING SEND YOUR NAME YOUR EX NAME ADDRESS AND PICTURE PHONE NUMBER ETC WHICH I DID OVER AND OVER AGAIN AND MOST OF THEM WERE FROM WEST AFRICA UNTIL I SAW A POST ABOUT MAMA ANITA SPELL AND I DECIDED TO GAVE HER MY LAST TRAIL.SHE ASK ME FOUR THINGS MY REAL NAME,MY EX AND MY EX MOTHER NAME AND $180 AND SAID MY EX WILL COME BACK IN 24HOURS, I HAVE PAID OVER $3000 ON SPELL CASTING AND COURIER AND NOTHING HAVE WORK FOR ME AFTER 3 DAYS I WAS THINKING ABOUT HOW MUCH I HAVE LOST SO FAR SO I SAID LET ME GIVE HER A TRY SO I CALLED HER AGAIN AND SEND MY REAL NAME,MY EX AND MY EX MOTHER NAME AND THE $180 BECAUSE I SWEAR IT WAS MY LAST TRY SO I WAS WAITING AS SHE TOLD ME TO WAIT TILL NEXT DAY AND I COULD NOT SLEEP THAT NIGHT BECAUSE I REALLY LOVE MY WIFE AND WANT HER BACK AT 9PM THAT DAY I SAW MY WIFE ON LINE ON FACE BOOK AND SHE SAID HI AT FIRST I WAS SHOCK BECAUSE SHE NEVER TALK WITH ME FOR THE PAST A YEAR AND 9 MONTH NOW I DID NOT REPLY AGAIN SHE SAID ARE YOU THERE? I QUICKLY REPLY YES AND SHE SAID CAN WE SEE TOMORROW I SAID YES AND SHE WENT OFF-LINE I WAS CONFUSED I TRY TO CHAT HER AGAIN BUT SHE WAS NO MORE ON LINE I COULD NOT SLEEP THAT NIGHT AS I WAS WONDERING WHAT SHE IS GOING TO SAY, BY 7.AM THE NEXT MORNING SHE GAVE ME A MISS CALL I DECIDED NOT TO CALL BACK AS I WAS STILL ON SHOCK AGAIN SHE CALL AND I PICK SHE SAID CAN WE SEE AFTER WORK TODAY I SAID YES SO SHE END THE CALL IMMEDIATELY I GOT OFF WORK SHE CALL ME AND WE MEET AND NOW WE ARE BACK AGAIN I CALL MAMA ANITA THE NEXT DAY THANKING HER FOR WHAT SHE HAS DONE IN FACT I STILL CALL HER AND THANK HER AS MY LIFE WAS NOT COMPLETE WITHOUT MY WIFE PLEASE BE CAREFUL HERE I HAVE BEEN SCAM THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IF YOU WANT A TRUE LOVE SPELL THEN CONTACT MAMA ANITA (mama.anitatruelovespell@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never seen myself shed tears for anything since i turned eighteen but this very day that my lover left the house with annoyances after we had some fight about him always coming home late i cried the whole day. But after so many days of loneliness i decided to look for solution to my relationship and answer came to me when i saw Dr.AGBAGIE details on the internet and i read a lot of reviews about him and i decided to give him a call and through the help of Dr.AGBAGIE my lover came back to me within 48 hours and since then he has never come home late. So you can see how powerful and useful Dr.AGBAGIE is to the whole world that is why i am going to be putting Dr.AGBAGIE contact details right now for the sake of those people that will need his help contact Dr.AGBAGIE via mobile +2348052849204 or you write him via email at agbagietemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. During my search on the internet on how i can solve my relationship issue i came across article about Dr. EKPEN TEMPLE, Through Which my broken relationship with my ex lover was restored. I'm Jessy by name and my lover has left me for many years before i came in contact with Dr. EKPEN TEMPLE. After contacting Dr. EKPEN TEMPLE i narrated my story to him and Dr. EKPEN TEMPLE promised to help me get my lover back and i am telling you right now that my lover came back to me within 48 hours that Dr. EKPEN TEMPLE has cast the spell on him. Trust me the fastest way to restore your broken relationship is through Dr. EKPEN TEMPLE and you can contact him via mobile +2347050270218 or email at ekpentemple@gmail.com And for further proof of what i have just said then you can search on his name on the internet to see more about him.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never knew people still have powers and make things happened this way. My name is Faith Henry am from American. my boyfriend Slay Scot left me for another girl for three months’ ever since then my life have been filled with pains sorrow and heart break because he was my first love who dis virgin me when i was 21 years old. about two years ago, A friend of mine called Bella told me he saw some testimonies of this great Dr AGBAGIE that he can bring back lover within some few days, i laugh it out and said i am not interested but because of the love my friend had for me, she consulted the great priest on my behalf and to my greatest surprise after three days my boyfriend called me for the very first time after three months that he is missing me and that he is so sorry for every thing he made me went through. i still can’t believe it, because it highly unbelievable it just too real to be real. Thank you Dr AGBAGIE for bringing back my lover and also to my lovely friend who interceded on my behalf, for any one who might need the help of this great priest here is the email address:(agbagietemple@gmail.com) or you can call the great man on (+2348052849204)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, I love this idea! I would love to know how you made those labels...not the exact picture or anything but to make it the exact size you needed?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Every time i take a look back at what had happened to me i will always appreciate the great Dr Agbazara ( agbazara@gmail.com ) for what he has done for me. This spell caster brought back my lover, who left me just for no reason. I met the great spell caster and he told me all i need to do! Now am glad Dr Agbazara brought him back and he love me more than he used to! you can also contact him on his active Email address ( agbazara@gmail.com ) or add him on Whats-app: ( +2348129175848 ).

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note, I'd love to hear from you!