I printed the educational stuff on a piece of gold parchment paper: Rhode Island Reds are the State bird of Rhode Island (imagine that!); they are hearty creatures that can lay eggs in cold temperatures (yep) and they are friendly chickens with a good nature. I found a nice picture, straight out of the chicken coop, and an egg basket graphic I liked. I decided to make the photo a little more realistic, so I reprinted it on photo paper and cut it out .
In the basement was hanging this old Paul Whitney Hunter print that I didn't particularly care for. But I did like the handsome old-school-distressed frame housing it.
So I tore the old print apart, cut out a few more eggy things I'd printed and slapped it all together and I didn't like it. Blech. It hung on the wall for a week looking like this. I could barely handle it.
What it needed was chicken wire! Fortunately we have a nice stash of it out here. I went for the rusty stuff instead of the shiny pristine new.
Grandma! What BIG hands you have! Okay, I asked for Glen's advice on how to cut the chicken wire and he just kinda took over that part of the project. I think I could've done it, but he really is a helpful fella.
Once the chicken wire was cut to size, I punched holes in a piece of cardboard cut to the same size as the chicken print so I could wire it to the chicken wire.
I wired my little nest and a piece of ribbon onto it and I was much happier with the end result.
And yes, Mr. Perrien, the next time you are here for your favorite meal, Farmer's Breakfast, there will be a test covering Rhode Island Reds.