ARTFULLY AVOIDING THE LANDFILL (& driving my husband crazy) ONE PIECE OF JUNK AT A TIME

1/24/10

My New BFF

We are most grateful that we were able to obtain a generator to see us through this power outage.  Thanks to our neighbors, that is, who made sure we weren't forgotten.  After all, we aren't real farmers.  We don't have income producing livestock, we're just relocated city folk livin' the dream out in the country.




When the generator arrived, it was first things first... beer and Gatorade on ice and then hook up the generator.  (Isn't she a beaut?)  Then it was a matter of deciding what we wanted to run.  Furnace, t.v., internet and a couple of lamps and we were set.  It took a little work, however to prepare a fine meal last night.




Drag lamp and extension cord from bedroom to kitchen so you can see what you're doing; have husband light stove so you don't blow house up; and fix whatever you can find by flashlight in the cupboard.




I opted for popcorn with a Pop Tart for dessert.  GB said he wanted a hot meal so he went for the Lipton beef noodle entree.  Not exactly healthy, but the boys weren't here, so who cares?  I was trying to think of things to buy that we could fix over the next few days because the way things looked outside, it was going to be a few days before our power was restored.

This is a view of the road that leads west from our place.  If you can't read the sign, it says, "Level B Road - Enter at Your Own Risk".  It's a minimum maintenance road - as in it never gets plowed during the winter.  Such is the case with the roads that lead to the north and east of our place as well.  The power line that feeds our lines is located on one of these roads. 

 

  I really figured it would be at least a few more days before they would be able to get to us, so I packed my box and headed to Drew's to shower before I went public at the grocery store.

Hey.  I couldn't find my travel bag in the dark, okay?




 I want you to know that it isn't easy showering at Drew's house.  Chandler is very protective:




"Don't touch my dad's stuff!"

Well, I didn't touch any of his dad's stuff.  Turns out he won't have to worry about that anymore because just as I was about to get in the shower, Glen called and said the power was on.

I was so grateful, so surprised the power was back on, I just had to stalk the utility truck until I found my new BFF (Mom, that means "Best Friend Forever") so I could thank him proper.




I have no idea who he is, but I just had to thank him.  Those linemen worked long, hard hours in horrible weather conditions to make sure everyone had power. Without them, the world as we knew it came to a screeching halt.  I think I will try to be more mindful of my new BFF.  He and his co-workers are out there every day for us.  We definitely take their efforts for granted.

1 comment:

Leave a note, I'd love to hear from you!